Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spinning flax with a spindle

For a good while now, I've been interested in spinning flax. Last Tour de Fleece, I finally got around to digging up a little long line flax that I had stashed - and it took me a little longer to finish the yarn. But now I'm done...

Tässä vähän juttua pellavan kehruusta värttinällä, kehruut kesällisiä mutta projektissa kesti.

I started with dressing the distaff according to the pictures in Veera Vallinheimo's book Das Spinnen in Finnland. First I took a flax strick (hobby shop quality, really bad with lots of tow in the middle):

Ohjeita luin Veera Vallinheimon kirjasta Das Spinnen in Finnland. Ensiksi, askarteluun tarkoitettua pellavaa:


Which was shaken out and worst bits stripped off:
Huonolaatuinen, mutta tässä pahimmat roskat poistettuna:


Then I pulled off small bits and spread out the flax in a kind of a "batt", overlapping layers of strick to make it longer:
Vedin irti pikku palasia ja asettelin ne limittäin levyksi:


Then I rolled it into a jelly-roll:
Kiersin levyn rullalle kuontaloksi:


Which got fixed onto a DIY paddle distaff (made out of cardboard and a paintbrush extension stick, with a card-woven band), here at front:
Kuontalon laitoin kiinni maalisivieltimen jatkovarren päässä olevaan taiteltuun kartonkipalaseen, mikä sai toimittaa kehräpuun (kuosalin) virkaa:


And the back (the band was pinned into the cardboard at the top):
Takaapäin:



And then I started spinning from the bottom end of the jelly roll, dipping my fingertips into water every once in a while (note recycled yoghurt cup edge on the side table):
Kehrätessä kostutin sormia vedessä, huom. kierrätetty jugurttipurkki pöydällä:



Then the yarn was done:
Sitten tuli valmista:



A long break ensued. After I'd pondered on different kinds of instructions, and bought soda ash, I dug out an old dyeing kettle and boiled a few litres of water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent and a few teaspoons of soda ash, and plonked the flax skein there for a half an hour, which turned the water a dirty, dirty brown:
Viimeistely tapahtui keittämällä lankaa (huom! värjäykseen jne. pyhitetty kattila!) parissa litrassa vettä, johon oli laitettu pari tippaa tiskiainetta ja pari teelusikallista kidesoodaa, lanka sai olla padassa puolisen tuntia:



After it was rinsed and dried, it'd gotten shinier, paler, and more flexible (even if still crisp):
Huuhtelun ja kuivatuksen jälkeen lanka olikin jo vaalennut, pehmennyt hieman ja saanut kiiltoa:


As a bonus, I'll show a tiny sample skein of cosmetic cotton (see: Spinning cosmetic cotton) and boiled that before the flax - which did absolutely nothing except maybe set the twist:
Lisäksi keitin vähän puuvillaa, mutta sille ei tapahtunut mitään kiinnostavaa, kierre ehkä asettui:


Next, I'll use real flax strick meant for spinning, and possibly my wheel. Flax is fun and it spins up pretty fast.
Seuraavan kerran käytän kehruuseen tarkoitettua pellavaa, ja kokeilen miten se sujuu rukin kanssa. Värttinällä ainakin kehruu oli hauskaa ja kävi aika nopeasti.

No comments: