Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Spinning Post

Did I mention something about spinning? Well...

Postin aiheesta johtuen riskeeraan ylipitkän sepustuksen ja kirjoitan myös suomeksi.

Last year I decided to learn how to spin. I'd seen lovely pictures of people spinning and yummy wool on Craftster and elsewhere, and then one day, I decided to try. I found some felting wool - figuring that it was already carded, so why not give it a go - put together a spindle out of a cardboard-cutout circle, a hair stick and some yarn and got to it. The proto-spindle was very, very light and very wobbly (hairsticks are not designed for a smooth spin) and the yarn was, predictably, lumpy. If I did manage to create a tolerable single, it fluffed out while plying and I couldn't figure out why!

Viime vuonna päätin opetella kehräämään. Kun kerran olin idean päähäni saanut, pakko oli yrittää vaikka sitten Tiimarin huovutusvillalla ja nutturapiikistä ja riisipaketin kyljestä leikatusta pahviympyrästä kyhätyllä "värttinällä". Tulos oli äärimmäisen kevyt, mutta kyllä sillä jonkinlaista langantapaista aikaan sai...



Later I got my hands on more wool (again, felting wool) and with my Dad's help, made a real spindle out of a plywood circle and a wooden stick. It comes apart, because it isn't glued, but I convinced myself that this is actually a feature as it makes traveling easier. Never mind that before you have spun a fair amount of yarn, the whorl tends to move around, which makes it harder to spin.

Löysin sitten lisää villaa, virolaista huovutusvillaa tämäkin. Isän avulla kasasin vaneriympyrästä ja puutikusta toisen värttinän, joka pysyy koossa alkulangan avulla. Seitsemän veljestä näyttää sopivan tähänkin tehtävään hyvin!



Then, I went to Belgium for 5 months and despite taking my travel-ready spindle along, I didn't do anything with it. Instead, I bought yarn and needles and knit - but that's another story. After I had got back and settled down, I dug my wool out again...

Olin sitten ulkomailla, ja kehruu jäi vähäksi aikaa, mutta kotiin tultuani aloitin taas...



And then, after almost a year of practicing, I finally learned to ply. (Who would've guessed that you need that much twist?!) Isn't the blue colour wonderful?

Vuosi siinä meni, mutta viimein opin myös kertaamaan. Kierrettä pitää olla enemmän kuin arvaisikaan!



The next step was (of course) finding a wheel. My both grandmothers had spinning wheels, of the Finnish traditional type. The wheel that belonged to my late gran on the dad's side was lovely and very old, and after much examination and cleaning I realised that it would need to be taken apart and put together again before it could be used, because it has spent the last 30 years in a barn. However, it is pretty! (I experimentally spun some rough flax fibre - you can't really use the pedal, and the string keeps popping off the wheel, but it almost works.)

Seuraavaksi ei kun kyselemään suvun perintörukkien perään. Kummallakin mummolla sellainen oli - isänäidin rukki on kaunis ja vanha, mutta niin heikossa kunnossa 30-vuotisen riihessä oleskelun jälkeen että se tarvitsisi perusteellisen entistyksen. Siitä huolimatta onnistui silläkin tappuroiden kehruu kädellä pyörittäen.



My gran on the mom's side also had a wheel, which she borrowed/gave to me. It's factory-made in the 1940s, and had a prolonged stay in the cold attic, which means that the paint was flaking and all parts that could rust, had.

Äidinäidin sodanaikuinen ja tehdastekoinen rukki oli jo paremmassa kunnossa, mutta siinäkin rukin lyhdyn koukut tarvitsivat viilan ja Pata-patan apua ruosteesta päästäkseen. Huonolaatuinen maali oli myös kärsinyt kylmällä ullakolla oleilusta. Viimeksi sitä oli käytetty kangaspuilla kudottaessa tarvittavien lankarullien kiertämiseen, ja siinä apuna ollut tikku oli katkennut ja juuttunut torven sisään.



I cleaned it, scrubbed the rust off, replaced the leader string and tested it... and it works! Later Granny told me that they used to use 2-ply for woolly trousers and sweaters, and 3-ply for socks. The thread was wound on balls for plying.

Puhdistin rukin, poistin ruosteen, vaihdoin nyörin ja kaivoin kepinpätkän torvesta ulos... ja sehän toimi! Myöhemmin kuulin mummolta, että ennen 2-säikeistä lankaa käytettiin villahousuihin ja villapaitoihin, mutta 3-säikeistä sukkiin. Kertaamista varten lanka kierrettiin kerille.



Unfortunately, I can only use the wheel when I'm at my parents' house, so meanwhile I'm relying on my traveling spindle. I've since found a batch of lovely baby-blue/white mohair edit: merino! top, and it's so smooth. So it's a fair guess that this won't be the last time I'll be talking about spinning.

Koska rukki ei ihan yksiööni mahdu, se saa asua vanhempieni luona. Käytän vieläkin useimmiten värttinää. Löysin Taito-shopista ihanaa vaaleansini-valkoista mohair edit: merinohahtuvaa, joka kehräytyy kuin unelma, joten lisääkin asiaa kehräämisestä saattaa vielä tulla kirjotettua.

No comments: